I am AspienGIRL©: Female Asperger Syndrome and Superpowers
AsperPower: \as-per-pow-er \ ;
- a unique characteristic, trait or gift or combination thereof.
- a superpower(s) possessed by someone with Asperger Syndrome
- a supersonic sense, power or ability
- of or relating to the original work of Hans Asperger
AspienGirl© : \as-pee-en-ger-l\ ; Aspienwoman :\as-pee-en-wo-man\
- a young female from Planet Aspien; an adult female from Planet Aspien
- a female with Asperger Syndrome; possessing a different profile than a male with Asperger Syndrome
- a female with a differently wired brain
Planet Aspien©: \pla-nət\ : \as-pee-en\
1. A Planet where Aspiens originate
2. A platform that supports, advocates and is focused on the unique strengths, abilities and gifts of girls and women with Asperger Syndrome or High Functioning Autism
3. A place where females can feel empowered, supported and understood.
Over many years of working with females of all ages with Autism or Asperger Syndrome, I have found these special individuals to possess a unique combination of abilities, characteristics and traits. A large part of my work involves advocating, educating and promoting a strengths-based descriptive model for Individuals with Autism. The language and the words we use have power. In my work, I use a model that focuses on assessing and describing people based on their strengths, skills, abilities, gifts and/or talents. That is not to say that we don’t address or work on challenges, but that is another article. This is an article that encourages people to learn about the positives, how females with aspergers have contributed and contribute to the world though the use of their unique Asperpowers. In my clinical work, I have met people of all ages with Autism who have a stunning array of diverse abilities, talents and gifts.
The following briefly describes my Top 10 commonly seen strengths, gifts, qualities or asperpowers of girls and women with Asperger Syndrome and/or High Functioning Autism, unique, in combination, to Aspiengirl or Aspienwomen. I refer to these qualities as Superpowers, or Asperpowers because time and time again I have seen these very qualities when utilized or harnessed, lead to a successful life, and/or career.
Let’s now celebrate/learn more about the unique superpowers that girls and women with Asperger Syndrome possess.
1. Asperpower Intelligence: The ability to have an intelligence quotient rangling from from high average to genius levels, as compared to their peers. Aspiengirls/women posess intellectual capabilities that give them a distinct advantage in terms of learning, obtaining and education and many degrees, including PhD-level qualifications. Many Aspiens are life-long learners.
2. Asperpower Teacher/Self-Taught: The innate ability to teach one-self a task, skill, or course rather than learn it from or in a standard formal setting. For example, teaching oneself how to dance and then later becoming a dance instructor or teaching oneself computer programs and later teaching them to children.
3. Asperpower Introspection and Curiosity: The ability to be a deep reflective and introspective thinker with an intense craving for knowledge, needing to know the answers to an endless array of questions and a focus on her “inner world”. This need to understand how things work, the answers to questions and philosophizing can tend to be intense. Combined with Asperpower Hyperfocus, this introspective curiosity often leads one into becoming an expert in their chosen field of interest. Aspiengirls are often knows as “people who are in their heads too much”, the thinkers, or the “little philosopher”, enjoying her own rich and complex inner life.
4. Asperpower Hyperfocus/Obsession: The ability to spend long periods of time involved in their special interest, at times to the extremes of not eating, taking a break, focusing for hours, and if left to her own devices—for days. For example, an author is writing a book, an artist completing a painting or a web designer creating a website in a few days, taking very few breaks, but completing a major project, from start to finish.
5. Asperpower Solitude: Often described as “being in her own world”, the ability to be alone, work, read or other task for extended periods of time, without the desire or need to socialize. The powers of introversion over socializing enables Aspiens to devote more time to their special interest(s). Many an Aspien spends long periods of time writing, reading, programming, creating, painting or drawing, with only their pets as company. Aspiergirls tend to prefer one-on-one interaction compared to groups activities, are often better able to express themselves through writing, art, singing or other means, enjoy periods of solitude, enjoy work that allows them to “dive in” with as few interruptions as possible.
6. Asperpower Creativity: Used in combination with other Asperpowers, Aspiengirls are highly creative, imaginative, or creatively attuned. They have the ability to tie together things that they see into complex and original concepts. This makes them visionaries who create original, unique works of art, spaces, object, or writing.
For those with artistic inclinations, along with their “sensing abilities” and attention to detail, can be successful creators. This superpower closely ties in with the superpower introspection in that the imagination and a deep fascination with the inner world can lead to careers as best-selling authors, writers, painters, and artists.
7. Asperpower Intuition, Emotional Empathy and Ecological Empathy: Many females are highly sensitive, empathizing with others, often experiencing other people’s emotions as if they were our own, a term I refer to as “referred emotion”, the tuning into other people’s energy and emotional states. Referred emotion makes it easy for Aspiens to surmise what others need and want and can make their relationships deeply authentic and caring. This superpower gift gives Aspiens the ability to be of service to others, leading to the strong ability to connect with sources of information and obtain answers or solutions beyond what is explicable through analysis, reasoning, logic or intelligence. Often, they “just know”, although they may not be able to tell you how they know what they know. Ecological Empathy is the ability to sense the well-being and conditions of one’s environment and natural setting, animals and/or nature. This ability can enable them to communicate with animals, of all kinds, and get them to perform tasks on command. The tendency to be more aware and to experience stronger inner emotional states, can make for richer and more profound creative work as writers, musicians, actors or other artists. High sensitivity to other people’s emotions, animals or nature can be a powerful asset for teachers, managers, therapists, advocates, animal rights and human rights activists.
8. Asperpower talents and gifts: The ability to possess innate natural strengths and abilities which may include one or more of the following, which often can be observed from early on in life: languages, music, art, acting, writing, helping others, working with animals or nature, editing, entrepreneurship, health professionals, teachers and special educators, technology, science, lifelong learning, an expert in one of more subjects or areas.
9. Asperpower Independence, Strong Will and Sheer Determination: The desire to do things for herself, an Aspien seldom takes “no” for an answer and tends to be resistant to allowing others to do things for her or ask for help, even if she needs it. while it may take her longer to achieve than her peers, When an Aspien is determined and has her mind set on a particular goal, she has an almost 100% chance of achieving it.
10. Asperpower Perfection: Born perfectionists, Aspiens are conscientious, hard workers, who strive for perfection. They try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things, tending to perform best when strangers are not present.
For more information or to follow AspienGIRL©: BE Your Own Superhero, please go to:
Tania Marshall©. 2013. All rights reserved. Duplication in whole or part is explicitly forbidden. Thank you.